Cleaning House

by Bob Poole on March 12, 2010

I want to do a little housekeeping today. Does this happen to you? You get so busy with so many projects you wake up one morning and think, "Oh, wow, I forgot to let people know about that!" Some of this post falls into the "personal information I share with readers category." And, some of it, I hope, will be of value to you in your life.

Let's get started:

• Joann and I are going to be grandparents again. My son, Ryan and his wife Sue, are expecting in mid-July. Meanwhile, their daughter Rylie is celebrating her 1st. Birthday tomorrow. I bet I can find a photo of Rylie to share with you.
  • I'm now doing a syndicated podcast. It is called, "Around the Water Cooler." So far, I have conducted three interviews with best selling authors Seth Godin, Dan Pink and Tim Brownson. You can find them and subscribe on iTunes by searching for Bob Poole or Around the Water Cooler. Also, you can go directly to the podcast website. Here is a link to get you there. The subject of the podcasts will be stories and tips about sales, marketing and leadership as well as interviews with authors and business owners and entrepreneurs. If you'd like to be on podcast with me to discuss your business or anything related to sales, marketing, leadership or creativity – please drop me an email at [email protected] and let me know.
  • What have you done that is extraordinary this week? Send me an email to tell me and I'll send you a book or audio book. Make sure you send your mailing address too.
  • My friend, Gail Bower, says "I've seen your book title not as title, but as an expression quite a bit lately. I think your title is surfacing because of raised consciousness. We've been working with the same car salesman-like sales tactics for years. Social media has changed a lot about transparency, openness, etc., at the same time self-awareness generally has increased and thus people's "crap detectors" have become more acute. Evolution!" If you see Listen First Sell Later being used as an expression, please send me a clip or photo. We'll see if we can compile enough for a collage.
  • I bought an iPhone this week. It was my first Apple product purchase since 1994. First, the packaging had me drooling. The box arrived looking like it held jewels instead of a phone. It was gorgeous. The inside packaging and instructions all continued the theme of beautiful design and a feeling of this is something special. When I plugged it into iTunes it began to sync with my computer. In a couple of minutes it had totally synchronized Outlook, all my email accounts and passwords and I was downloading email and making calls. And, that was just the beginning. You'd have to pry this from my hands to get it from me now. And, I'm seriously considering making the Apple leap the next time a PC starts crashing (or maybe when I have to upgrade from XP to Windows 7).
  • My speaking schedule is picking up and we're booking for the fall and early winter already. I think that is a good sign for both the economy and the fact people want to learn about how to sell and market in a world with unlimited choices.
  • Want to change people's lives? Start with your own first. We're always quick to want to change things and people around us before we give some real thought to our own life. Listen to yourself first – then decide what change your want and what change you can influence.
  • Peter Keady is a fine photographer. He's an even finer human being. He made a change from being a professional photographer to becoming an ordained minister and youth pastor. Now he is using his photographic skills to help kids who are in danger of being sucked into drugs and gangs. That's changing people's lives after changing yourself first.
  • If you are wondering when I'm doing my next video, it is coming soon. I wanted to do a series on Customer Styles to help you communicate and sell. Then I got the idea to hire a couple of actors and take them on location and make an entire series. That has proven to be a challenge for a number of reasons. So, I'm going to do both! I'll start the YouTube type videos soon and I'll talk about styles and then we're also continuing our search for a way to produce a more comprehensive video without breaking the bank. Unless, of course, we turn it into a product which might happen. Stay tuned and look for the new video link soon.
  • Over the last three years, I am proud to say, we have brought together an amazing team of people to help with your sales and marketing needs and solutions. These people really rock and I would never have found 90% of them if it were not for social media marketing and finding a tribe. I deliver some of these services and a team of over a dozen people deliver the rest from their offices all over the country. We can manage the process for you or turn it over to you for direction and management. We're flexible and fun to work with. We now can offer you the following services:
  1. Sales and Marketing Workshops, Seminars and Keynote Presentations
  2. Sales and Marketing Strategy and Coaching
  3. Web, print, animation and film design
  4. Videography and photography
  5. Idea creation and design
  6. Copy writing
  7. Database design and implementation
  8. Website security and IT services for small businesses
  • And, last, from the I'm Afraid It Is True files comes a story from Rahway, NY. It seems a family decided to have fun with all the snow so instead of making the usual snowman in their yard, they decided to sculpt their own version of Venus de Milo. Rahway police told the family they had to put clothes on the offending piece despite their own reservations that it looked much better without the bra and towel. Rumor has it John Ashcroft is a frequent visitor.  I'll let you decide.

Have a wonderful weekend.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Tim Brownson March 12, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Congrats on the imminent new arrival Bob!

Bob Poole March 12, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Thanks, Tim. Rylie will be around 1 year and 4 months when her new little (surprise) arrives.

Bernadette Jiwa March 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Rylie is adorable, but of course you know that. Exciting news. Congrats to you and the family Bob.

Louise Cloutier March 13, 2010 at 8:02 am

During the blizzard of ’78 in Cambridge, MA, all traffic shut down and everything turned into a strange dreamland. People were cross-country skiing down all the main roads and ordinary life just stopped.
Friends and I made a hermaphroditic snow person on the front lawn. That’s *much* more risque than the Venus de Milo snow sculpture. But nobody complained or called the cops.
Ahh… times have changed……
(Felicitations on the new arrival!)

Louise Cloutier March 13, 2010 at 8:08 am

A side note: I tried to post this comment on the website with the snow sculpture story. But they wanted me to jump through *so* many hoops, registering, filling out forms with personal information, reading and approving their terms of service, bla bla bla bla… I just said to heck with it, then came back here to post my comment.
It’s really true, folks. You wanna keep people on your website? Don’t make them work so hard!

Becky Zastawa March 13, 2010 at 9:17 am

Congratulations on all your new ventures, but especially the new grandbaby!
Now that is a new venture!

Dean March 13, 2010 at 10:44 am

Great summary Bob. I didn’t know you had interviewed Seth Godin as well so I look forward to listening to that. I did have a few suggestions as well.
1. I went to your podcast page and then wanted to come back to your main site but there is no link there to take me back. You may want to consider putting one on there for new followers…you know…make life as easy as possible for them.
2. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to subscribe for your podcasts on iTunes…granted I can be a big dummy at times…and am pretty tech savvy…it may discourage some who are not so savvy. Maybe a clear set of instructions indicating how they can subscribe will help increase your numbers…just a thought though.
Keep up the great work my friend. I enjoy what you do and what you stand for.
DD

Bob Poole March 13, 2010 at 10:57 am

@Tim – thank you my friend. I just got off the phone telling Rylie Happy Birthday. They live in the western part of PA and we miss her.
@Louise – great story! And, yes, some sites, especially news sites exert lots of control.
@Becky – thank you! We just found out it is another girl and her name will be Sadie.
@Dean – Great suggestions! I thought everyone knew how to use iTunes but me. I had the same questions. I think there is another issue they are working on for my podcasts so I might hold off until they get that corrected.
The link back is important. I need to see how I can get into the back of that page as libsyn.com generates that code. I’m sure there is a way. Thank you.

Bob Poole March 13, 2010 at 11:29 am

@Bernadette – she is adorable. Thank you. She’s quite the little photo model too. She’s walking all over now and babbling. My son is trying to teach her to say Pop-Pop – my name.

Jodi Kaplan March 14, 2010 at 8:48 am

I thought I’d posted a comment, but I don’t see it.
Trying again.
Mazel tov! Riley is adorable. My nephew will be 2 next week. It’s an adventure.
>>You’d have to pry this [iphone] from my hands to get it from me now.<< That's how it starts. Pretty soon, you're addicted. Muah haa haa haa....

Bernd Nurnberger (CoCreatr) March 14, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Congrats on all the good life you share, Bob.
About prying things from hands:
Listen First -Sell Later was the first (e) book I read entirely on the iPhone. Courtesy of your great pdf and the GoodReader app.

Bob Poole March 17, 2010 at 9:58 am

@Bernd – thank you for your kind words. I remember you read it on your iPhone. I’m curious to see how it will look on the iPad.
@Jodi – Thank you, Jodi. I love kids when they are this age. Then they turn into teens. But, then they turn into your kids again, if you’re lucky. I am addicted already. One of these PC’s goes down again and they are going out of here.